Monday, January 3, 2011

Top Baby Girl Nursery Designs of 2011

This week lots of bloggers are doing a look back at their top or favorite posts from 2010. I re-caped my favorite pictures from last year, but I also wanted to look forward to 2011 and what I think are the big design trends coming up. My Pottery Barn Baby catalog just came in the mail and it was full of all kinds of new inspiring designs, it got me so excited to work on some new designs this year!

Here is a look at what I think will be hot in the year to come:

Hollywood Regency - I did an entire post on this look last year, and I think it will continue to be hot! Characterized by bold graphic colors, white, chrome, mirrors and clean lines this style is a fun and funky alternative to the rest of your home's decor and is perfect for future girly girls!


Birds & Owls - I think PB started this one and they keep coming up with new designs so it must be popular! There is something sweet about little birds and owls that make them fun and charming. Mix in a few different patterns in coordinating colors and you can create a totally personal look. Look for decals on etsy.com to go with this design theme.

image from here

image from here

Vintage Chic - The evolution of shabby chic seems to be vintage chic. Designed with a flea-market flair, this style incorporates found objects that are re-purposed or painted, with eclectic accessories and colors. Think Jenny Lind cribs, vintage dressers and painted frames.


Banners, flags or bunting (whatever you want to call them) are also part of this popular trend. They are easy to make with fabric or paper and can be a fun no-sew project!


Solids & Stripes - You know I love a stripe treatment and I think they will be popular again this year. On the ceiling or on an accent wall, they add a fun graphic treatment that is easy to do your self.

image from here

Pretty in Pink - Pink has - and always will be - a popular choice for baby girls. But it doesn't all have to be pastel. Mix different shades with an unexpected twist, like gray, aqua or lime green. And be sure to test pink paint on the walls before you do the entire room - it's an easy color to get totally wrong!

Darling Damask - This one took awhile to grow on me, but when done right it doesn't have to look like your Grandma's sitting room. Modern interpretations like the one below look great on an accent wall and can be achieved with paint.

This room uses wall paper on the accent wall, with lots of ruffles and pink. I like how they combined tan and black and made it work.

image found here on Project Nursery

For those of you with babies due in 2011, hope these ideas give you inspiration to try something new and create the perfect space for you baby girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all of the designs! Where did you get the wallpaper used on the last room (Chloe) and/or who makes it? I love the room and this is my pic if it's a girl.
Thanks!!

Kristen said...

Can you tell me where you got the wallpaper from? It is adorable!