Friday, October 2, 2009

Geared Up: My Favorite Finds

As a former baby products buyer, I get asked tons of questions about my favorite gear and what items are a must have on any registry. So, on this lovely Fall Friday, I thought I would share my favorite finds with everyone. Below is a list of my must haves in every category. Note: while I am a die-hard bargain shopper, I also believe in quality goods that are easy to use. Not everything on my list is a steal but if you are juggling work, a baby, and a home sometimes it is a good idea to pay more for what works well!

BOB Revolution Stroller - You have read me blog about my love for BOB for quite some time. I recommend the Revolution strollers to anyone looking for a jogging or jogging/everyday combo stroller. They are easy to use, stroll like a dream and have a 70 lb weight limit. To quote my friend Kim, "By far the best baby product decision we made was purchasing a BOB." I love them so much, I bought my brother and sister-in-law one for our nephew. Just be sure you get a Revolution version because the swivel wheel is essential. Regularly priced from $389, you can catch them on sale online, at REI and sometimes on Craigslist.

Fisher-Price Infant Seat - Fancy bouncers and swings are nice, but this basic seat is great for grabbing a shower at home and taking with you on a trip or to a play-date. The Zen collection is has much more style than you would expect from Fisher-Price, with detailed fabrics and espresso wood trim. My nephew loved this thing and was happy in it for hours. Priced at $79 and also available in other colors.
Skip Hop Studio Diaper Bag - Diaper bags can be a tough item to choose. Do you go designer (which is cute but not always functional), laminated for easy clean up (but looks plastic-y) or basic cloth from Target? Enter the Skip Hop Studio bag. Stylish AND functional, at just $89 it won't break the bank. Plus, all Skip Hop bags come with stroller straps that allow you to strap the bag onto the handles of your stroller with just a few clicks. So cute people might not even know it was a diaper bag!


Beco Baby Carrier - The basic Baby Bjorn has paved the way for all kinds of baby carriers. From slings and wraps to front carriers and frame back packs the choices in this category can be overwhelming as well. After testing tons of options and giving new Moms hundreds of demonstrations I love the Beco Butterfly carrier the best. With the help of an little infant seat, it can be used as a front carrier with your newborn. Unclip the seat and it expands, giving more room as baby grows. Then, you can flip it around and use it as a backpack carrier. The straps are comfy and it does a great job of distributing the weight to your hips. Plus, the fabrics are super stylish. Starting at $139, this carrier is more expensive than most but well worth the price. Just think of how much easier your daily errands would be if you didn't have to lug your stroller around and you could comfortably carry baby around in this!


UPPABaby G-Luxe Umbrella Stroller - Fairly new to the market, UPPABaby makes a great lightweight umbrella stroller. I chose this one ahead of the Maclaren Truimph because it is priced at $50 less than the comperable Maclaren version. The mesh seat with washable, removable pad is also nice. Umbrella stollers are a must have for quick shopping trips and vacations and this one is sleek, stylish and SUPER lightweight.

Baby Bjorn Travel Lite Crib - Everyone has a playard, but not everyone has the Baby Bjorn Travel Lite Crib. If you truely travel this thing is amazing. I have never been able to properly open and close a playard without a fight but I got this thing right on the first try. It pops open in litterally 3 seconds. Great for sleeping on the go it also have more padding that a traditional playard. At $220 it is a bit pricey, but like I said, if you are going to travel with baby alot I think it is worth it.

Bumkins Super Bib - This thing really is SUPER. Made in the USA of a PVC, BPA, Vinyl and Phthalate free waterproof material is is great for use at home and in the diaper bag. Folds up amazingly small and spills will not get through this bib. Available in a variety of sizes and TONS of patterns it is functional and cute. The same material is also available in diaper bags, aprons and wet diaper bags.
Hope you enjoyed my product recommendations. For more articles on choosing the right products for you, check out these past posts:

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Thanks for the post! There is so much baby stuff out there it is overwhelming! The best advise is from real life moms! :) Thanks again!

taralynn819 said...

I came over from Kelly's Korner's carnival of baby gear. We are due with our first child at the beginning of April and I have been meticulously pouring through all these helpful blog posts!

I have to say, I would have gotten a Bob Revolution if it was in our budget, but I found a steal of a new Baby Jogger City Classic for $199, which is similar. Among other detail features, you just can't jog as hard core with it.

I was also planning on geting a Maclaren Triumph a few months down the road but now I will have to look into the UppaBaby G-Luxe!

I don't know what I would do as a baby gear novice without the help of the Baby Bargains book and message board - and these posts!

I will have to bookmark your blog for ideas (or possible orders) in the future, as we've not done much more with our little boy's nursery than pick paint color! I've been struggling with it because our builder put in this cheap forest green carpet in all the bedrooms and the only color I could come up with for the walls is yellow. But beyond that I have no idea what to do!