Monday, May 4, 2009

Tuscany in Texas

This past weekend was the long awaited "Girls Wine Weekend 2009." I took a group of friends out to our ranch in Lometa, Texas, for some food, fun, friends and fine wine. About an hour away from Fredericksburg, the ranch was a great get away for us and very relaxing. After a long night on Friday, we headed out to visit some wineries on Saturday. For those of you in the area, Fredericksburg is a great little town and the wineries around it are the 2nd best wine destination in the country, behind Napa. I would highly recommend it for a girls weekend, bachelorette party or romantic get-a-way with the significant other.

We started off at Woodrose Winery, where one of the Husbands fraternity brothers is the wine maker. We had an amazing time, complete with private tour and tastings straight out of the wine barrel! I would highly recommend it to anyone, they have a large patio set in some shady trees and will soon have a dance hall for some late night fun!

We also stopped at Becker Vineyards, where I am a big fan of the Muscat Canelli. It was there that I spotted this gorgeous tin bar. I have been lusting after a piece of old tin for the wall just like it and just had to take a picture for future reference:


The ranch is a great little place to get away and it is also home to some of my more rustic craft projects. I created this wooden sign to look like the one at the Dixie Chicken in College Station using some simple 2 x 4's, a dremel tool and some outdoor latex paint. I has been hanging from the porch for a few years and is starting to have that old barn wood look.


Also hanging out there is this Texas flag I made. I hand stitched the flag from some fabric. Then I added some stitching along the seams to make it seem more handmade. I used a wood burning tool to burn the Rockin' BS logo onto the star and finished it off with a soak in some water with tea bags to add an aged look. I framed the flag in an inexpensive barn wood frame from Hobby Lobby. I gave both the creations to my in-laws for Christmas.


So, if any of your are in the area, I encourage you to take a weekend and go visit the wineries and all Fredericksburg has to offer. You might just get a little tast of Tuscany in Texas!

No comments: