Friday, February 4, 2011

Elephant Shower

A few weeks ago I co-hosted a shower for a friend of mine.  She is not finding out the gender of her baby, so we went with neutral colors of green and yellow, but with a little more punch.  We had an elephant invitation, but I went with a vintage theme for the decorations.  Her nursery is going to be kelly green with vintage touches like an antique dresser and Jenny Lind crib and I wanted her to be able to use some of the shower decorations in her nursery.

After I got home I realized that I may have had a little too much wine at the shower (it was in the evening) and forgot to take really good pictures to share.  Plus, I am really realizing that I need a new camera.  Mine was a gift from The Husband when we were engaged, which was over 5 years ago!  A lot has changed in the world of digital photography since then!

Anyway, here are some POOR shots of some of the things I created:

I made these vintage-inspired baby blocks out of some scrap wood.  I used a watered down white wash paint and sanded the edges to achieve an aged look.  I pained A, B, C on the front side but left the back blank.  I am going to be doing some artwork for her nursery at a later date, so I am planning on using the other side to paint something that coordinates with the art.  That way she can use them as decor in her room later.

Utensils were displayed in vintage mason jars



I created this "tree" using a vase and sand I already had on hand.  I used some twigs I found at Hobby Lobby and printed the elephant from the invitation onto card stock.  I used my handy circle cutter tool to create these little ornaments.  I also made those little personal size cheese cakes!



In addition to the large blocks, I got a package of wooden baby blocks from WalMart for only $12 and filled some glass containers with them.  At the end of the night I gave the blocks to my friend to keep.


I also created these little dessert toppers using my circle cutter and a scallop punch I borrow from my Mom.  These are super easy to make and really add a professional looking touch to home made treats.



This shower was really fun to plan and host and ended up being really easy.  We divided the duties between the 4 hostesses and in the end we all decided we were comfortable with the amount spent and didn't have to show our receipts and write eachother checks for the difference.  I have been hearing horror stories from friends about out of control showers they had to contribute to and I am happy to say that didn't happen to us.  Maybe it was all the wine we consumed at the shower that made us all so agreeable at the end of the night!  Ha!

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I love how you used blocks in the glass vessels - so creative!