Friday, February 4, 2011

Black is back

Black is not really a color your think of when you think of a nursery.  When I think baby room, I want something soft and soothing but lately I have been noticing a lot of black being used.  Its showing up on accent walls, furniture and more and more in bedding.

While I don't suggest you paint all the walls in your room black, if you are looking for a gender neutral space with pop, try adding a touch of black.

Here are some of the best examples I found:

This is Trista Sutter from the Bachelorette's nursery:

image from here

Chalk board paint is a way to add interest, spark your child's creativity and use black without it being too harsh
image from here

I have shown this nursery several times because I love the stripes on the ceiling but they also managed to use a black accent wall without looking goth

image from here

For furniture in a black-accented room, I think it is best to go with black and white, with only small touches of brown like on the crib above.  A large piece of brown furniture may look out of place.  As a bonus, white and black furniture is often less expensive than a wood tone.  Or you can paint something you already have!
image from here

No comments: