Monday, February 1, 2010

My Work: Jungle Jumble

This 16x20" was given last weekend by a group of friends at a baby shower. The shower had a book theme, with each guest bringing a favorite children's book and originally I thought about doing a Jungle Book theme picture for the African-inspired nursery. I thought that would be a cute way to incorporate both themes. However, after a few sketches, I quickly realized The Jungle book characters would not paint well and I changed the direction.

The room has yellow walls and the colors are blue and green with a hint of orange. I worked all the colors into the animals and kept the background neutral. I also worked on my photography skills with this one and tried to stage the picture and incorporate more natural light. Taking the picture at an angle like that also helps prevent the flash from bouncing off the finishing glaze and creating a weird effect.

Enjoy!

No comments: