Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Dreaded Question

So I guess it is only natural for people to ask me when I am having a baby. After all, I blog almost daily about baby things. One would only conclude that I either A) have a baby or B) am trying to have a baby. However, this is not the case. For now, the Husband and I are comfortable right where we are, thank you. And, to be honest, I find the "when are you going to have a baby?" question to be a little bit rude, even from a family member.



Maybe I am just too sensitive, but I think it is a very personal decision and if I am not telling, you should not be asking. After all, what is the difference between someone asking me when I am going to have a baby and me asking them when they are going to lose weight? Both are personal question that have to do with your body and personal choices. I would never ask someone else when they were going to have a baby. What if they are trying and can't conceive? I know of several people that tried for years and couldn't get pregnant. Do they really need me rubbing it in? No.



I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject! Do you think its ok to ask? Do you hate it when people ask you? Am I nuts? Don't answer that one.....

2 comments:

Alana Latiolais said...

I don't think I minded getting asked this question, however, when I wanted nothing to do with having babies my answer was always just that! And then when we were trying to conceive (it took us 9 months to actually do that) I would always say..."we'll see." But wanted to say..."we are trying and it's not working, now don't you feel bad!"

It's just one of those life progression questions, "When are you going to settle down?" "When are you going to get married?" "When are you going to buy a house?" "When are you going to have a baby?" "When are you going to try again?" "When are you getting plastic surgery?" haha Well, maybe only in Boca do they ask that last one!!!

Team LC said...

Nope, you're not crazy. It's entirely too personal to ask, particularly of someone that you aren't close to. The people you are close to probably already know that info, anyway. People love to ask me why my parents chose to adopt and I always wonder if they would seriously ask my mother that to her face. Plus, I've never asked them b/c it doesn't matter to me why they made that decision, but they did and it led to me having a great life. If I don't need or care to know, I don't know why anyone else does. I have assumptions on why they did it (let's face it- if you're adopting healthy, white, American babies from private adoption agencies, it's probably not because you want to be all Angelina Jolie and rescue them from a destitute life in a 3rd world country), but why would my parents want their potential fertility issues or challenges broadcast to strangers?

I'm with you- perhaps I'm too sensitive, but I also think people need to stop and think before opening their mouths. I'll share everything with you that you need to know. If I'm not telling, stop and consider why before asking.

Aaaaaaaaaand with that, I step off my soap box. Happy Wednesday!!!