Thursday, August 20, 2009

Let's Go Sailing

Last week a friend emailed me asking for suggestions for her nursery. She has selected her crib bedding (below from New Arrivals), and has some existing furniture she needs a matching crib for but other than that, is kinda stuck on ideas. I told her I was happy to help!

To go along with their bedding, they are thinking either a sailing or sports theme. Knowing her style, I think a sailing-meets-east coast ala JCrew theme would suit them best. She likes this picture from BlissLiving.com:


She is using a long dresser and night stand they already have in a guest room. To tie those pieces into the look, I suggest changing out the ordinary wooden drawer pulls from something in baby blue or even these hand painted nautical theme ones. For a crib, they are having trouble finding the right shade of wood. I like this Parker crib from Da Vinci. Da Vinci carries a variety of crib styles in tons of wood choices and are very affordable. They also have excellent customer service should you ever need replacement parts. And, this Parker crib converts into a toddler bed with the included guard rail, and then a full size bed if you need it.For a mobile, I like this Ahoy Matey Mobile from NoJo, available at babyearth.com for $42. It's the right colors to match her tan and blue bedding and I love the covered mobile arm. Anything to hide the cheesy white plastic is good with me.

Now for wall decor - my favorite. Natalie and her hubby have sophisticated taste so I think framed nautical maps would be a classy edition. Check out ebay for maps you can cut and frame yourself. The ships reel in the center is also a unique touch.

Not into the maps? This vinyl compass decal adds an authentic touch. I found it at etsy shop Chuck E Byrd and it is super affordable and easy to apply.



And, what preppy sailing nursery would be complete without a monogram canvas by Kimberly? I would do stripes to match their bedding, similar to this canvas I did to coordinate with a Caden Lane set.

Hope that gives you a good starting point Nat!

Have a nursery you need some ideas for? Well, I need ideas for the blog as well (you think it is easy coming up with a post a day?). Email me what you have and I will share some ideas you can use to take your nursery to the next level!

No comments: