Friday, May 8, 2009

Make Your Own Custom T-Shirt

A few weeks ago the Husband and I attended a wedding where he was a co-best man. The friend getting married is a dear pal of both mine and my husbands and we have many years of memories with him. He is quite an entertaining fella and consequently we have many interesting pictures of him from over the years. So, naturally I wanted to do something with these pictures to honor him at the wedding. The boys had a wedding day washer party planned for that Saturday, and I came up with the idea of making a special shirt for the Husband to wear that day.
I used an iron on transfer kit, and it was super simple. Here are the steps:
  1. Get a picture you want to use. Digital pictures work best because they are easier to manipulate and the quality comes out better.
  2. Edit the picture to look how you want. In my example, I removed the background so it was just the pictuer of our friend. I also flipped the image so that the right was left and left was right. That is because it flips when you turn it into an iron on and I wanted the ring finger on the correct side. If this doesn't matter to you, and you don't have a photo editing software, you don't have to do this. If you are putting words on your image to iron on, you will have to do this step or the words will come out backwards.
  3. Use the iron on transfer paper to print your image. It is available at office supply stores in the paper section. I bought the store brand paper and it was 10 sheets for $5. They make specific paper for laser or ink jet printers, so be sure to buy the right kind.
  4. Next, select a shirt to iron it on. Lighter colors work best. If you choose a color, it may alter the colors on the image a bit because the shirt color will show through just a bit. Be sure to pre-wash your shirt so it doesn't shrink the first time you wash it with the iron-on transfer on it.
  5. Follow the steps on the paper package to iron on the transfer. Its that simple! I added some iron on felt letters after I did the image. Just be sure not to touch the transfer with the iron or it will melt. Note, be sure to wash your finished item inside out to prevent fading.

The transfers can be used on any fabric type and would be great for a shirt, pillow case, apron, whatever! They are fun and easy gifts for Mother's Day and Father's Day. I think ours turned out pretty funny......

No comments: