Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Family Beach Pictures: Styling and Tips

We are taking a vacation with The Husband's family this month, and my MIL wanted to take family pictures while we were there.  Since its not a place we usually go, I searched around for a bit for a family photographer and came up with a few good options.

The prices I found varied greatly, with some "investments" being from $600-900.  While I do value the work of a professional photographer, I sometimes think they can be pretty pricey.  I ended up with someone that had some great examples of family beach pictures, and was only asking $250 for the session, 10 prints, and digital images.  And I'll let you in on a secret - I found them on Craigslist.

Craigslist can be a great place to find photographers that are looking to grow their portfolio, or make a little extra money doing sessions during the week.  This photographer had a nice (but not too fancy) website, and some good sample pictures he sent me.  He also sent some tips for our session, and I compiled his list with a few of my own.  Can you tell I appointed myself family stylist?


Tips for Successful Family Beach Pictures:
  • Late afternoon sessions - 1 to 1 1/2 hour before sunset – are preferred over morning sessions.
  • Try to coordinate the colors of the outfits, and try to wear bright, bold colors if possible (such as teal , coral and yellow, or multicolored dresses for girls).
  • Make the vibe casual, with bare feet, shorts and untucked shirts.  Keep accessories to a minimum, you don’t wear a ton of jewelry at the beach and it is supposed to look natural and casual.
  • Avoid black and brown colors as well as clothes with logos, graphics, characters and large vertical stripes.
  • Ladies, consider wearing your hair pinned back or half up to avoid windy hair in the face.
Since I am using this post to send to the family to coordinate our outfits, here are a few pics that inspired my tan/white/blue/aqua  & pops of pink color scheme:







No comments: