Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My Stay Slim Secrets

I realize this post may sound like a humble-brag, but I thought the info was worth sharing.  I often get comments from friends and family about how I am so lucky to be slim.  Or how I lost all the baby weight and its not fair.  Although I will attribute some of it to genetics (thanks Mom & Dad!) I will say that I do put effort into staying slim and eating healthy.

In high school I was very active, and could eat whatever I wanted.  Once I got to college I continued to eat whatever, even late at night, and it did catch up to me.  I gained the freshman 20 and pretty much carried it all through college.  It wasn't until after college that I started to watch what I was eating and take better care of myself.  As a result, I have stayed the same size for the past 8 years or so and I attribute most of it to my eating habits, as I have very little time to exercise.

Here are some of the things that I used to help keep me slim, but also happy!

{Educate yourself on nutrition information}

Wendy's Frostie, Small - 300 calories, 8 grams fat

Dairy Queen Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzard, Small - 680 calories, 35 grams of fat

If that isn't an eye opener, I don't know what is.  I make a habit of looking at nutrition facts so I know where the hidden calorie bombs are.  Now, when I crave a treat, I go for a kiddie Frostie or a McDonalds ice cream cone, because I know they will satisfy my sweet tooth without packing on the pounds.  I am just as happy with frozen yogurt or light ice cream as I am with the full-fat stuff.

{Eat healthy during the week, splurge on weekends}
The Husband is probably the best example of this.  During the week he eats super clean and healthy, but on weekends, watch out!  Save those dining out high-calorie meals for the weekends when you can actual sit and enjoy the meal.  Skip the fast food during the week and eat a PP&J sandwich instead if you are in a hurry.  Or breakfast for dinner is always an easy option when you don't have much on hand at home.


{Make your treats worth it}
When I do splurge, I make sure its worth it.  For example, I don't really like donuts that much, so I try to stay away from them in the office.  But if snickerdoodle cookies arrive, watch out.  I will eat 2.  I often ask my co-workers to rate the treats that come into the office on a scale of 1 to 10 to see if they are worth it.  Before you indulge, ask yourself if it is something you really like and is worth the calories.


{Shave off unnecessary calories}
Mayo and cheese are 2 things I don't eat that often.  I can't really taste cheese on a sandwich, so I don't usually get it.  And I often ask for the cheese one the side if its shredded, so I can add just a small amount to my salad or tortilla soup.  Little places here and there you can cut a few calories really add up.

{Snack often}
Spend an entire day with me and you will probably think I eat constantly.  Which, I kind of do.  Here is a sample of my daily eating habits

5:30 AM - breakfast of cereal or toast with BP
9:00 AM - coffee with 2% milk and oatmeal
11:15 AM - lunch (usually leftovers) and greek yogurt
2:30 PM - snack
6:00 PM - dinner
8:30 PM - sometimes another snack (small bowl of cereal)

I realize it is pretty carb heavy, but that works for me.  I try to eat small meals often, because I get hungry about every 3 hours, no matter how much I have eaten at my last meal.

-----------------------------------------

So far these guidelines have really helped me, and I hope to work in more exercise into my routine once H is a little older and can occupy herself for a bit while I do a DVD in the evenings.

No comments: