Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Party Fav: Buffalo Chicken Dip

image from here

I had book club last week, and I brought a small dish of my party-staple appetizer, buffalo chicken dip.  Everyone at book club was raving about it, so I thought I would share the recipe with you guys.  There are several version floating around out there, and I have kind of simplified mine + I try to make it a little lower in fat and calories.


2 of the large size cans of canned chicken
1 or 2 packages of reduced fat or fat free cream cheese
1/2 cup reduced fat ranch dressing
Splashes of Frank's Red Hot Sauce - more or less depending on your taste preference

In a skillet, start melting down cream cheese.  Drain and break up canned chicken and add to skillet.  Once cream cheese is melted, mix in ranch and start adding Red Hot sauce.  I know what color mine needs to be to taste right.  Depending on your taste preference, you may need to add more or less.  Mix it all together and transfer to a baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until it is heated and bubbly.

I serve it with crackers (chips are too thin and end up breaking) and large chunks of celery for dipping.  The Husband likes it with crackers, I like the celery b/c it make me feel more healthy.  If you don't finish it all (which is highly unlikely) you can microwave the left overs for a next-day snack!

This recipe is not an exact science, so add or subtract what you want.  If you think canned chicken is gross, feel free to cook and shred your own.  But who really has that kind of time?  Not me.  I have also seen it done with blue cheese dressing, and topped with cheddar cheese as well.  Feel free to get creative!

No comments: