Monday, July 18, 2011

The Great Glider Debate

When I made my nursery budget, one of the most expensive items I accounted for was a nursery chair/glider.  After testing a friends glider with recliner option, I knew I wanted a recliner and they are generally a little more expensive.  And they don't come in the wood/pad variety, you have to get a full on upholstered version, which is more pricey.

A few weekends ago when my mom was here, we set off on a quest to test nursery chairs at some of the big box retailers (Babies R Us and BuyBuyBaby) and sadly found that gray (the color I decided I would need) was not a popular choice.  Which led me to baby specialty boutiques and $800 price tags.

Since I don't know how long I will be breastfeeding, and I am generally just cheap, I just couldn't pull the trigger.  I didn't LOVE any of the custom fabric choices either, and $800 seemed too steep.  So I decided to settle on a white wooden glider with cushions that I could recover in cute fabric.  And I set out on a Craigslist search to find one.

Until I ran into an ad for a Best Chair recliner, fully upholstered, never used.  Retail price was $900, they were asking $400.  And it was light yellow.  Interesting, I hadn't considered yellow because it wasn't gender neutral enough for a possible baby boy #2.  But now that they mention it, yellow would look good....


So I drug The Husband 30 minutes away to check it out.  He tends to hate my obsession with finding deals on Craigslist, so it took some bribing to get him to go.  But we returned triumphant to the house with this:


And you know what else?  Long story but the lady we bought it from actually had 2, one she used and one she didn't (which I purchased).  She was all done with the one she used, and was going to trash it.  So crafty Kim took one of her used large cushions, and will be cutting fabric from the back side to be used on my crib banner.  Now everything can match perfectly.

I scotch guarded the new chair and I could not be happier with how the yellow looks.  I have already caught The Husband laying in "his" new chair.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

That chair is a great find! I am super excited for you! I love the yellow!