Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Finding the perfect gray paint color

I was a little surprised with myself when I decided I wanted to paint the nursery gray.  Gray is not usually a color I would go for, but I didn't want tan (since our whole house is tan) and didn't really want an actual color on the rainbow, so I thought gray would be a nice neutral alternative.

I am usually pretty good at picking out paint colors for the wall, so I chose a gray, bought a sample and brought it home to test out.  Boy was I way off!  It looked like a horrible silver blue on the walls and I was really worried gray just wasn't going to work.

To find another shade that worked better, I just started googling gray nurseries that I liked on other blogs and found out what color they had used.  Then picked up 4 more samples from Lowe's and some poster board to test on this time.  By the way, did you know that Lowe's has other paint brands in their computer according to color, so I was actually able to get a Home Depot and Sherwin Williams sample there too - all in one stop!

Here are the ones I tested:


from left to right:
Seashell Gray - Valspar
Wheat Bread - Behr
Faint Flicker - Olympic
Gray Horse - Benjamin Moore

I am going with Faint Flicker.  And the very light pink painted in the center between the grays?  That is Possibly Pink from Behr and its getting painted on the interior of the closet.  The painter is coming tomorrow, hope it looks good!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I purchased a sample of the Valspar Seashell gray and was so surprised at how it looked light blue on the wall.

Abey said...

Simply this was a nice exploration for getting the perfect ideas to grab the perfect paint color. I appreciate you for this quality job. Inspite of my intension to have the idea quality walkway repair service near me, I was completely happy with what I was able to grab.