Friday, June 5, 2009

Reader Design Dilemma - Centerpiece Concerns

A few weeks ago on of my readers emailed me this picture of her dining room table and asked for suggestions on a centerpiece. As a busy working Mom she did not want anything "with little rocks she has to dust all the time" and I totally understand where she is coming from:


The table is a rich espresso color and is a taller pub height, which makes it interesting. My first suggestion is to add a table runner. The one below is from Pottery Barn and is pretty neutral, but I also think something in a rich color would be great. Table runners can sometimes be hard to find these days, but I usually see a good selection at Marshall's, Ross and Pier 1 Imports. They might be a little old fashioned but I think they can really add a punch of color and make any centerpiece more outstanding.

Now for a centerpiece, there are a few things to consider. First, how often do you use the table? If not very often, you can choose something that is a little more decorative but not as functional. I love large, tall centerpieces, but if you use the table alot this might not be practical and can be hard to see over. You also need to consider all sides of the table when choosing something for the middle. You don't want something that has a font or back or doesn't look pretty all the way around. Here are some of my favorite ideas:


This tray features some rustic wooden candle holders and candles. I like how the candles have 3 colors, much more interesting than a solid. When putting candles on a dinner table you want to make sure they don't really have a smell, as this can mix with the food smells and sometimes not be so appetizing.

I also like this floral arrangement, although I know everyone is not big on fake flowers.


Another concern Miss S had was her light fixture. It was in the house when they moved in and although everyone else loves it, she kinda hates it. She has removed some of the crystals already and right now it looks like this:

Sorry S, but I kinda agree with everyone else, I like it. It was probably a really expensive fixture and it is pretty. I do think it is a little busy though, and the thing that stands out most to me is the finish. If everything else in your house is brown, this silver finish might be too much. My suggestion - remove some more crystals if you want and spray paint it. I know you guys are probably sick of me talking about my love for Rust-Oleum Hammered Finish Spray Paint in Brown but this stuff rocks. I think a brown finish would work much better with the table and the lamp shade covers and the hammered effect looks like metal so you will never know it was spray painted.

Hope some of those suggestion work, let us know how it turns out!

Have a room or area you are not sure what to do with? Send me a few pictures and I might feature your room and some suggestions as a Reader Design Dilemma!

No comments: