Wednesday, May 27, 2009

You Light Up My Life!

Most of you probably saw my post about our breakfast room and the before and after shots of the new light fixture:

Before
After

And this got me thinking about lighting options in the nursery. Here are some of my favorite ideas to light up your little one's life:

Chandeliers - Right now I am obsessed with the idea of putting a chandelier in my master bathroom (how luxurious and spa like!) and they are also perfect for a little girls nursery. I love this one from Pottery Barn Kids and at $129 the price is actually not bad.

But, ff you live anywhere that you need a ceiling fan, this option may not be for you. If you love the idea but can't make it work, try these stickers. They add the pizzazz but don't require the wiring.
Have an old chandelier around the house? Give it an update with a coat of paint. A high gloss black or white makes any shape look new and modern. Get some add on crystals and hang them yourself if you want to add the bling factor. Not good with wiring? I don't think there is anything wrong with using a chandelier as a decoration and not having it be functional. Hand it over the changing table for baby to look at - its like art!

Lamps - Almost every bedding set comes with a coordinating nursery lamp. They are a cute option, but you don't HAVE to buy everything that matches your bedding. Resist the urge. Some of my favorite nurseries all coordinate but don't match EXACTLY. It makes it look more personal. Try shopping Target and other discounters for interesting shapes and colors. Then, add your own trim with ribbon, fringe or pom poms.

You will have a lamp that is all your own and actually provides more light than those little 12" ones that come with your bedding set!

Nightlights - In the middle of the night that lamp may just be too much. Sure a basic nightlight will work but there are more fun options out there! I love the Offi My Pet Light. It comes in different animals and colors and includes washable markers so you (and then your toddler) can write notes on it. Its fun and functional!


Lastly, I leave you with this cool treehouse light fixture as inspiration!

No comments: