Monday, May 25, 2009

Design Dilemma - My Mantle Makeover

The Husband and I have this thing about random art. We don't like hanging things in the house that don't have any special meaning to us. I am fine with hanging decorative iron pieces or other such things on the wall, but I just can't go to Kirklands and buy a random picture of the countryside and feel good about hanging it up. It has to mean something to me. So, deciding what to hang over the fireplace has been quite a challenge. With the advice of a decorator, we painted the area over the fireplace a rich olive green shade. And then it just sat there. For a year. Blank. After I created my vanity area, I moved my old make up mirror to above the fireplace and it looked like this:


Yes, the mirror reflects a great view of a ceiling vent and the fan. Attractive.

Then, one day while digging through the bargain bin at the Pottery Barn Outlet, I ran across this Williams-Sonoma Home pillow (yes, they are owned by the same people - the have a monopoly on stylish home decor) marked down from $78 to $22. Now, let me explain something. I have been obsessed with using coral shapes in home decor for about 2 years. So I literally DOVE into the huge clearance bin to grab this. I added 3 more pillows that I scored for $2 each at the outlet and wa-la, my couch came alive with the perfect mix of modern and ranch I was going for. Well, as much as ranch and modern can mix.


So, with the coral pillow inspiring me, I set out to paint my own pictures for above the fireplace. Easy enough you say? Not so. I do not really paint stuff for grown ups. Kid's art is so much easier to do and although you might think I have painted stuff for every room in my own house, I haven't. So coming up with a design was quite a challenge.



I knew I wanted a big graphic coral shape. I bought a square canvas (they look so chic) and painted what I thought was a coral shape. To my dismay, it came out looking like a tree. Not that a tree is bad, but it just wasn't what I was going for. So, if you have the need for a 20x20" rust colored graphic tree picture, let me know! I'll sell it to you for $25.




Anyway, I made a second attempt and came up with a much better shape. I stacked the coral picture on top of a larger picture with a big graphic print and added a vase we already had. I am still not 100% happy with it but it is a big improvement. I think I may add some brown molding around the larger print to make it even bigger. I kinda wish it was bigger and I am on a big molding kick!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish not agree on it. I regard as nice post. Specially the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Sarah said...

Greetings Kimberly. The mantle makeover you experienced and shared with us was totally exciting. Just reveal the post after landing on your beauty and creative world. You really shaped your blog in a wonderful way. Williams-Sonoma Home pillows drew my deep attention. I am sure I have to hunt for them. Though my browsing desire was to grab some reviews on velcro bed skirt, I was completely obsessed with your lovely project.