Monday, May 18, 2009

Monogram Maddness

My latest designs are for a Mommy of 2 in Houston. Inspired by a monogram set I did for her friend, she contacted me about doing a set for each of her boys. She wanted something timeless that would grow with them, so I concentrated on classic designs and used neutral colors like tan, brown and off-white.

For the first set, I used shades of brown, tan, cream and baby blue. This is for her youngest, and his room is chocolate brown and baby blue with some pictures of chocolate labs.



The second set is for the oldest boy, who's favorite color is red and his room has one red wall. I kept these pretty classic as well, with a touch of red.

I used a new technique on this set and interpreted a design I saw on Pottery Barn Kids. For the center letter "S" I cut out letter S's from different papers and applied them to the canvas at different angles. I really like the way it turned out. Special thanks to my Mom for using her scrapbook supplies to cut out the letters for me!


Also, a customer from a few weeks ago sent me this this picture of her set hanging above her crib. If you recall, the first picture I did for the center had a pink background with a brown flower. But, when she put it up on the wall, the shades of pink did not work well together. It was a good lesson for me, if someone has a bold color on the wall they want to match, I better get a paint sample from them! I ended up re-doing the center picture with a brown background to match the other 2 and I think it looks great now!

I also added a new section on the blog last night with customer testimonials. With all the decorating ideas, it is sometimes hard to tell I actually sell my pictures! I have had some questions about pricing and I just want to say that I think my prices are pretty reasonable. For example, the pink paisely set above was done on (3) 16x20" canvases and sells for $75.

No comments: