Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Vanity Stool Makeover

Earlier this week I blogged about the vintage vanity makeover I did for my bedroom. What was once a yellow with flower trim 70's flashback is now at home in my Tuscan inspired master bedroom. Our whole house is decorated in a style I call "Texas Tuscany" which means rich shades of green, yellow and rust with some ranch and iron accents. So, when I saw the Ralph Lauren Langham set below, I feel deeply in love. I was not in love, however, with the almost $1000 price tag for everything you see pictured. Determined to have my dream bedroom, I set about assempling all the pieces on EBAY (brand new and in the package of course!) I ended up getting everything in the set for about $400. Remember, I like to think of things in a cost per use ratio - not cheap, but boy do I love it and we sleep so well at night!



What does all this have to do with my vanity chair you ask? Well, while searching for the pieces to the bedding set on EBAY I came across a large amount of the bedskirt fabric for sale for only $12! So, with thoughts of future project in mind, I went ahead and purchased it. Enter the vanity chair makeover. As I mentioned last week, the opening for the chair was really tiny and I was having trouble finding the right size stool to fit. When my Mom ran accross this chair at Marshall's for only $25, she went ahead and purchased it for me. At first glance it was not at all what I was looking for, but I wasn't going to let that stop me!


Here are the simple steps to re-doing a chair:
  1. Remove the cushion from the frame. Mine was screwed in using 4 small screws
  2. If needed, paint or spraypaint the chair with the cusion removed. I used my favorite Rustoleum Hammered finish spray paint in brown to add a bronze finish that would match our room
  3. Cut out a piece of fabric large enough to cover the cushion with about 3 extra inches on each side
  4. Lay the fabric face down, making sure the part of the pattern you want in the center of the chair is in the right place
  5. Place the cushion face down on the fabric and using a staple gun, slowly pull just a little bit and staple about every inch
  6. If needed, trim extra fabric and glue down edges. You don't want to see anything hanging down from the bottom when you put the chair back together
  7. Re-secure the cushion and you are ready to go!

Here is the finished product:

Not bad at all if I do say so myself! So, next time you are looking for a chair but can't find something, think style, not color. Color and fabric and always be changed. Or, if you have an older dining room set with outdated fabric on the chairs, just change out the fabric. I promise you will have a whole new look!

On another note, the blog hit over 1,000 visitors today! For only 3 months, that is pretty good. Thanks to everyone for passing it along, I really enjoy doing it and I hope you all enjoy reading it. I would love to hear your feedback on what type of posts you like best.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Friend, I am in love with the vanity and the chair!! BRAVO!!!

Sarah said...

So cool and awesome job you delivered here, Kimberly. Love your vanity stool makeover. Also the bedding decoration looks eye-catching. Seriously it was an fascinating tour and experience to your lovely blog world. Love your master bedroom. In fact, my browsing purpose toady was to have some good ideas about detachable bed skirt particularly velcro bed skirt but I was deeply amazed with your project.