Saturday, March 28, 2009

Tuesday's Top 5 - The Name Game


Yesterday's post with the nickname painting got me thinking how hard it must be to choose a name for your child. Its such a big decision and really shapes how your child is perceived for the rest of their lives. We all know someone with a name that doesn't flow or fit their looks or personality. The hubby and I always joke that if we have a little boy, we are going to open an Ol' Miss yearbook from the mid 80's and pick the frattiest name we can fine. Something like Parker Worthington. The ladies will love him when he is in college.

So, just for fun, here are some top 5 name lists from different years. My how so much has changed!

1909 - Girls - Note - these were the top 5 names for the next 9 years!
  1. Mary
  2. Helen
  3. Margaret
  4. Dorothy
  5. Ruth
1909 - Boys - Funny how these are still used now more than the girls from that year. You never see a baby Ruth or Helen anymore!
  1. John
  2. William
  3. James
  4. George
  5. Robert
1981 - Girls - Chosen at random, nothing to do with my birth year I promise. Can't believe Tiffany, Brittney & Kimberly aren't in there!
  1. Jennifer
  2. Jessica
  3. Amanda
  4. Sarah
  5. Melissa
1981 - Boys - Still, not much different here
  1. Michael
  2. Christopher
  3. Matthew
  4. Jason
  5. David
2007 - Girls - Some of these I always thought were original, but I guess not!
  1. Emily
  2. Isabella
  3. Ava
  4. Emma
  5. Madison
2007 - Boys - Its amazing how the boy names only changed every 10 years or so!
  1. Jacob
  2. Micheal
  3. Ethan
  4. Joshua
  5. Daniel
Random Facts:
  • Emily was the #1 pick from 1996 to 2007!
  • From 1961 to 1998, Micheal was the #1 pick for boys
  • Deborah and Debra were both in the top 5 in 1956
Check out the website I used from the Social Security office, its pretty interesting! So, what are you going to name your little bean? Something significant to the family? Something that has another meaning, like Kimberly means Cyneburg's field? Thanks Mom and Dad. I guess it could be worse. If I were a boy I was going to be named Kurt with a K. How awesomely 80's of them.

No comments: