Monday, September 12, 2011

Easy DIY Nursery Name Monogram Art

Since I have such a bold pattern on my nursery wall, I wanted to stay pretty simple with the canvas art I created for the room.  One of the pieces I created was this simple initial and name art.  It was really easy to do and I used left over paint and paper from other projects in the room.  Since I am no longer selling my art, I thought it would be nice for me to share a tutorial with you guys on how to create your very own initial name canvas.  Its super simple and the concept could be used for a variety of designs and rooms.

Below are the steps to make your own, along with a few tips and possible modifications:


 
Supplies:
  • Basic canvas (mine was 18x24")
  • 3-4 coordinating paint colors
  • 12x12" piece of scrapbook paper
  • Wooden or cardboard letter
  • Mod Podge
  • Craft glue
  • Foam brush and medium size paint brush
  • Paint pen
  1. Using a piece of painters tape, create a dividing line between the top portion and bottom portion of the canvas.  My canvas was 18x24" and the top portion measures 18x16"
  2. Use craft paint or leftover latex wall paint to give 2 nice solid coats to the top and bottom sections of the canvas.
  3. Using a piece of 12x12 scrapbook paper, cut out a circle for the top portion where the initial is located.  Tip:  I used a mixing bowl that was the right size to trace on the back of the paper and get a perfect circle
  4. Lightly mark the center points where the circle needs to be and apply a thin layer of mod podge using a sponge brush to the back of the paper circle.  Gently lay onto the canvas and smooth any bubbles from the inside out.  Do not put another layer of mod podge over the top of the circle, as this will more than likely cause bubbling.
  5. Use a paint pen or small paint brush to paint a name or word of your choice across the bottom.  I used dafont.com to find one I liked and I always draw my words very lightly in pencil onto the canvas, starting with the center letter and working my way right and left to make sure the name is centered.  I suggest using a paint pen if your hand is not steady enough to use a brush.
  6. Remove the painters tape and fill in the space with a darker, contrasting color.  Or you can use a piece of ribbon as the dividing line to add a little more interest and get a super crisp line.
  7. If you want to add a glossy finishing coat to the entire piece, this is the time to do it.  I use a liquid and a foam brush, but spray sealing gloss works well also.
  8. Lastly, paint a wooden or cardboard letter - which can be found at most any craft store - and glue it to the center of your circle. If you don't have a 3D letter, you can always cut one out of a coordinating paper and apply using mod podge instead. Tip: You don't have to use just a single letter, you can use a monogram, animal shape or anything else that coordinates with your room!
After I was finished I used some paint to add some dots around the center circle.  The basic concept of this design can be changed and adapted so many ways, so get creative with it!  It doesn't have to be just for the nursery or child's room, it would look great with a last initial and last name, a monogram and the word "welcome" or anything else you can think of!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's very cute, great job!

Simone Wedge Stiegler said...

I love the Font that you used! What is it called? I am searching all over the website! Hopefully you can help a future mommy out! Thank you! :-)

Brenna said...

I am looking for the font as well!! Thanks!!

Kimberly said...

I used dafont.com to look at fonts, this is one of the selections from the typewriter section, can't remember which one though.

Simone said...

Yay! I finally finished! Thank you for the inspiration! The art is right above her Crib for now..and it matches her bedding! :-)

http://pinterest.com/pin/90986854941569720/

Unknown said...

I love your nursery! I have a Hadley as well, and I think we would get along just fine judging by our somewhat similar tastes! http://ajennuinelife.blogspot.com/search/label/Nursery

Unknown said...

This looks awesome! Great job! My friend just had a baby girl and named her Hadley! www.justhadabrightidea.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I have done two variations of this and I must say, you must be a crafty vet because this was a bit trickier than it looks! From correcting paint smudges to making the name perfect, and doing different techniques both times (being a bit wiser the second time around on some of my medium choices), this project took much longer than this perfectionist had originally planned. However I am so happy with how both (so far!) turned out, and will probably be making more :)

Unknown said...

custom canvas art



Artzee Designs (ArtzeeDesigns.com) is the ultimate canvas art destination for customers seeking art for their home. There's an opportunity to purchase pre-existing art OR Inspire Your Own art. If you Inspire Your Own art, Artzee Designs' graphic artists will custom design a piece of art exclusively made for that customer. Also, to note, all of our prices include printing the art on canvas as well.