Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mommy + Toddler Turkey Meatballs

In an effort to stay slim and eat healthy, I have gotten in the habit of making all my lunches for the week on Sundays.  It helps me stick to my healthy eating plan, save money, and feel less stressed and rushed in the morning.

The thing I make most often is turkey meatballs.  And bonus - H loves them too!  I make medium sizes ones for me, and baby sized ones for her.

Basic recipe:
-1 lb ground turkey
-1/2 package frozen chopped spinach, dethawed and squeezed of excess water
-1 egg
-1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
-sprinkle of Italian seasoning/Parmesan cheese/ranch seasoning (whatever you like)

I mix all the ingredients with my hands in a bowl, careful to pull apart and mix in the spinach well.  Add more bread crumbs if needed.  Then I form the balls and drop into a heated skillet with a little olive oil.  Rotate and cook until outsides are a little brown.  Finish in the oven, at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes.  Sometimes when I put them in the oven I add a little Organic Ragu sauce over the top for added flavor.

Its a basic recipe, but it works for both of us.  I usually take mine for lunch with 1/4 a sweet potato and steamed green beans.  I serve Hadley's with a little Organic Ragu (the best jarred sauce IMO), Dr Praeger's Spinach Bites (from Whole Foods) and a fruit.  She doesn't always love meat, but she gobbles these right up!

And if you have a child that doesn't love plain veggies (like mine) I would highly suggest those spinach bites.  H LOVES them and if they are on her plate she always eats them first.  She also likes the broccoli version OK, but doesn't love the sweet potato ones.  They are usually on sale 2/$6, and you get a good amount in the box so I feel like they are a good buy.

And I am thinking about making this version of the broccoli bites from Stacey's Snacks.  If she doesn't like them, maybe I will!

No comments: