Friday, January 18, 2013

Toddler Food Fav: Chicken Noodle Soup

At mealtime, H doesn't seem to gravitate towards meat, unless it is hidden in a casserole.  But the other day I bought a rotisserie chicken at the store for a quick salad+chicken+avocado dinner for The Husband and I.  I diced up some of the white meat for her and she LOVED it.  I even let her dip it in a little BBQ sauce, which she licked off her fingers instead of dipping. Oh well.

I often buy the rotisserie chickens at the store when I am being lazy.  I use them to make chicken salad, king ranch chicken, and even chicken noodle soup, which H really loves.  I like to feed her homemade things, but being a working Mommy, I don't always have time.  So I love recipes like this that are good for her, I can sneak veggies into, and that make enough to freeze for later meals.



Toddler Approved Semi-Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

-packet of chicken noodle soup starter (I used Bear Creek brand, located on the soup aisle)
-1/2 bag organic frozen mixed veggies (carrots, peas, green beans, corn)
-1 cup less water than the package calls for
-1 can reduced sodium cream of chicken soup
-2 cups rotisserie chicken breast, diced small

Follow the direction on the soup mix, add desired amount of frozen veggies and diced chicken.  I also like to add 1 can of cream of chicken soup to make it a bit thicker but that could easily be omitted.  Make sure to cook a little longer than the package says, so the noodles get nice and soft.

I put some in a bowl and strained out the broth so she could self feed.  She also loves it as a soup, with me feeding it to her.  It makes great left overs, just add a bit of water before heating if it gets too thick.

And because I like to stock up on foods I can feed her when what we are eating won't work, I filled a muffin tin with some of the left over soup and froze individual portions I could thaw out for a quick dinner or side dish for her!

No comments: