Thursday, May 3, 2012

Starting Solids


As you can see, someone is enjoying her food.  We started H on solids a few days before she turned 6 months and she absolutely loves it.  She had been staring at our grown up food for some time, and started lunging at it trying to put it in her mouth, so I took that as a sign she was ready.

The first thing we tried was organic brown rice cereal.  I like Earth's Best, which is available at Target and WalMart, but not my local grocery store.  I mix it with both formula and water, depending on how much time I have.  Everything I read said that it may take a few tries for baby to like solids, and that at first they may only eat a teaspoon full.  Well, not my baby.  She gobbled it up and was crying for more!

After a week on the rice cereal, we tried sweet potatoes.  They were a huge hit!  I got a few different types of fresh, organic baby food from local company Whirled Peas, and froze them in ice cube trays.

Feeding her can be bit tricky, as she already wants to feed herself.  So I have been giving her a spoon to hold and jam in her mouth, and I go in with my own spoon when she is ready.  We have been feeding her in the Bumbo chair for now, and I really like the Bumkins Super Bibs I got her - they are lightweight and dry really fast.
 

No comments: