Friday, April 9, 2010

Too Cheap? When Frugal Becomes Fanatic

I have a confession to make. My name is Kimberly and I am a frugal fanatic. After much discussion with The Husband I believe I may have crossed the line from thrifty to cheap. My love of bargains has crossed the line to only buying things that are A) less than $30, B) on Craigslist or C) free.

To find out what drives my obsession we must first go back to childhood. My Dad used to take me to antique (read: junk) stores as he searched for rare books and valuable old war medals that were sitting on a shelf just waiting to be found and sold for a profit. Thus began my love affair with thrift stores and anything cheap. I just can't resist stopping in when I see a new place. I always feel like there are possible treasures just waiting out there to be found. Like a vintage Louis Vuitton trunk or something. Most of the time I come up empty handed but sometimes I score and it is that sometimes that keeps me going back for more. I once purchased a vintage Gucci wallet at a garage sale, used it for 2 years then sold it for $80 on EBAY. Amazing, I know.

I also think part of the problem is that I spent several years in purchasing (first a a major department store, then at a baby products website) so I know how much stuff actually costs. I refuse to pay $100 for a shirt because I know the mark up. So instead I choose to spend my time at Marshall's, Buffalo Exchange and Nordstrom Rack digging for bargains. It has gotten to the point that I really won't spend more than $30 on ANY article of clothing. It really is kind of ridiculous but then again I did score some new Citizens jeans for $21 the other day......

I hope that I can manage to find a balance between cheap and thrifty. Where I can still enjoy things even though I am paying for them. After all, I work very hard at a full time job and then I come home and paint to earn a little extra $ for my fun fund.

Am I the only one that feels that way? That you are so concerned with money and saving it that it kind of takes the fun out of things? Like I even have a hard time ordering a drink at a restaurant because I know it is not going to bring me $8 worth of pleasure and I can make one for 50 cents at home.

On that note, I am starting my new spending philosophy off this weekend with a facial appointment on Saturday - that I am getting for half off with a Groupon Coupon. Hmm, maybe I can't change.

No comments: